An experiment with florals + stripes!
I've been wanting to try combining stripes and florals for a while now...I love this look but could never quite figure out how to pull it off together. Then, as I was taking this cardigan out of rotation (I never seem to wear it!) I noticed how perfectly it complimented this floral dress! Bam! This outfit was born!
Old Navy Cardigan: thrifted on this trip, $3.98
Dress: thrifted on this trip, $4.50
Shoes: Old (I bought them last year while visiting Boise...he he, now I live here!) from Burlington Coat Factory $7.99
La Bagagerie leather Purse: Thrifted, $2.98 (these retail for around $400 new! Crazy!)
Necklace: Self made using a variation of this tutorial: free
Sunglasses: Thrifted, $3.99
I LOVE this outfit! And I am particularly in love with my mint green necklace, I think it adds a fun pop of color to just about everything. I've been wearing it almost every day, with everything! I used a variation on the "Miss Pink" necklace tutorial to make it, and I may be posting soon on how I did it because I am making one in another color, stat!
I've got a few tips for pulling off stripes and florals together:
1. Wear 1 striped piece and 1 floral piece, no more!
2. Wear two tone stripes, think black on white, pink and white, beige and black, etc.
3. Make sure you stripes match one of the colors in your floral! This shouldn't be hard, because generally florals have at least three + colors to choose from.
4. Make sure your stripes are in proportion to your floral pattern, no pinstripes with a gigantic florals! (Although, you can wear it the opposite way, teensy delicate florals with a big bold stripe).
5. Generally speaking, the bigger each pattern is, the better they work together. Tiny stripes + tiny florals = craziness on the eyes.