I (Jessica) am super excited to do this post today! Back in June I participated in the 7x7 remix hosted by the gorgeous Natalia at Ma Nouvelle Mode, and I had So. Much. Fun. I got some really cute outfits out of it, and I developed a whole new way of looking at my wardrobe. So last week when I saw that Natalia was doing another one, I was stoked! I started thinking about what I was going to do immediately.
This time I decided to be crazy, and to make 7 outfits all with one pair of black leggings as the base. Because if I'm honest, I spend all my time in leggings in the fall and winter anyways, I might as well get creative, right? Check it out after the break!
Here are the 7 pieces I chose to make 7 outfits from:
1. Chambray tunic
2. Flannel shirt
3. Cargo jacket
4. Chunky cardigan
6. Orange button down shirt (tunic length)
7. Black leggings
Ok, here we go!
This outfit is made of pieces 1, 2 & 7, with some slouchy brown boots and a Lacey circle scarf (made by me!) thrown in for some layers. Love! This plaid shirt is especially cool because it's the real deal. It's an actual hunting shirt stolen from my boss's husband's Goodwill pile and taken in to fit me. It's been my favorite go-to fall and winter shirt for over a year and a half now!
You'll have to excuse my wet hair! My family and I vacationed in Sun Valley last weekend, and it was danged rainy. This outfit was pieces 1, 3 and 7 with some black flats and my new thrifted purse. Comfy and warm, this outfit was perfect for strolling around town in the drizzle.
This is pieces 4, 6 and 7 together. I chose my knee high riding boots for our nature walk and some shopping with my mom in Sun Valley, along with my thrifted purse and my beloved bangles. In fact, now that I'm looking at these pictures I think I actually wore those bangles in every outfit but #4! How boring! Clearly I need to step up my jewelry game a bit.
I have to be honest, this is my favorite outfit of the seven. I decided to go a little crazy and combined pieces 2, 5 and 7 for a funky look. I don't know what it is about the combo of this skirt and plaid shirt (probably my obsession with pattern mixing) but I am LOVING this. I'm weird, I know. I belted this outfit, chose my basic black pumps and added my bangles. I would totally wear this outfit every day if I could!
This last outfit is a slightly less crazy twist on outfit #6, combing pieces 5, 6 & 7. I feel like this is a little more mainstream, and still adorable while being a little bit dressy.
So there you have my 7x7 remix for fall! Just for fun, here are 5 my tips for wearing leggings after making them work seven ways:
5 Tips for Wearing Leggings:
1. Make sure that you are covering...things...that need to be covered. No one wants inadvertent camel toe. No one. Ever.
2. Tunic tops and short skirts are perfect pairs with leggings, and don't look too short if you have nice dark opaque leggings (outfits # 1, 2, 3 & 4).
3. Wear shoes that are similar colors to your leggings for a longer leaner look (outfits # 3, 4, 6 & 7).
4. If you're wearing leggings with a short skirt or tunic, add layers on top to combat looking too bare. A chunky sweater or fun jacket are perfect pairs (outfits # 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7).
5. Boots help balance out your lower half if you're looking a little top heavy with too many layers (outfits # 2 & 4). Bonus, they're great to keep you warm and dry.
Have fun with your leggings everyone! I'm so excited about busting out my cool weather clothes, and I can't wait to see what everyone else is doing with their remixes! Go on over to Ma Nouvelle Mode and check out the other link ups.