You guys...it's that time of year again!!! (That announcement deserved the extra exclamation points) The time of year when we all start thinking about Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinner, and all the holiday celebrations in between. And since Hilary just showed you her sweeter version of perfect mashed sweet potatoes a few weeks ago, today I (Jessica) am going to share with you my favorite new recipe for a holiday dinner side...mashed yams topped with green onions and goat cheese!
The idea for this recipe came from one of my closest friends, who got our family starting on topping sweet potato fries with goat cheese and green onions. Luscious! I just knew that if this combo was awesome on french fries, it would be absolutely perfect with mashed yams this holiday season! (So Miranda, this one's for you, we'll miss you this year!)
Mashed Yams with Green Onions and Goat Cheese Recipe (feeds 4-6)
4-5 large yams, peeled and chopped into 1 inch slices
8 cloves of garlic, or about one bunch
1 cup of milk (or heavy cream)
1/2 cup of sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
1 package of goat cheese (about a 7 oz package)
2 bunches of green onions- you can serve these as spears on top, or cut them up for easier eating.
salt and pepper to taste
2. While you are boiling your yams, roast your garlic. There's a great tutorial on how to roast garlic here at The Kitchn, one of my favorite cooking sites.
3. Once your yams are soft, strain the water out and put your yams back on the stove in your pot. Set your heat back down to low, but keep it on. This will keep the cooler ingredients you're about to add from cooling down your yams.
4. Add your roasted garlic cloves to your yams. You should be able to just squeeze them out! So fun for kids to do.
5. Using a potato masher, mash up your yams and garlic until smooth. Slowly add your sour cream while still mashing. Add your cup of milk a little at a time, and stop when your yams have reached the desired consistency. You can add your salt and pepper here if you like, but we like to wait until after each person is served to add seasonings, it makes everyone happier.
6. Garnish with crumbles of creamy goat cheese and spears of green onions, serve and watch it vanish!
If you're looking for more of our recipes, you can check those out here! And Happy Thanksgiving to all of our American readers! I hope you all have an amazing day of remembering the reasons we are all so lucky to be alive. Because no matter how dark things are, there are always reasons to be thankful. And we are thankful to all of YOU!